202, 1215 13 Street SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 3J4


Personal Injury and Medical Negligence

When is a good time to contact a personal injury lawyer?

It is extremely important to retain a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible following a car accident, trip and fall accident, slip and fall accident, or if you have been the victim of medical negligence or suffered injuries due to the negligence or carelessness of others.

This will allow your lawyer to gather and preserve important information and evidence that may be the difference between winning and losing your case. It will also give you the peace of mind of knowing that your claim is being properly handled so that can focus on recovering.

How long do I have to file a claim in court?

In Alberta, you have 2 years from the date of the car accident, slip and fall, trip and fall or negligent act to file a claim or you may lose your right to sue.

At Law Fifty One, we understand that personal injury actions are time sensitive. Let us work for you while you work on recovering.

Does Law Fifty One take on clients from other cities, towns, and villages in Alberta or other Provinces?

Yes. We have and will continue to represent clients from throughout Alberta and in other Canadian Provinces.

Can I sue if a family member has been killed in an accident?

Yes. Depending on your relationship to the deceased, you may be entitled to bring a claim against the responsible party for the death of a family member.

How does Law Fifty One charge its fees?

At Law Fifty One, we work on a contingency basis and our fees are calculated based on a percentage of anything recovered on your behalf. This means that we do not get paid unless we are able to recover anything on your behalf.

For most car accident, slip and fall and trip and fall claims, we don’t require a retainer and cover all of your litigation expenses while the claim is going on.

For medical malpractice claims, we may require a retainer to cover some litigation expenses such as initial reports from experts. This can be discussed with the team at Law Fifty One before you decide whether or not you want to proceed with your case.

The other party’s insurance company keeps offering me money to settle, what should I do?

If you accept money for personal injuries sustained in a car accident from the other party’s insurance company, your case will be considered closed and you will lose your right to file a claim.

Insurance companies may not offer you what your claim is worth. Before you accept any money or agree to settle directly with an insurance company, it is extremely important that you contact a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer to be advised of your rights and so you can see if the insurance company is offering you fair compensation for your personal injuries.

Do I have to sign releases to obtain my health records for the other party’s insurance company?

No. The other party’s insurance company may send you releases to sign so that they can obtain your health records and personal information-You have no obligation to do so.

Before you sign anything, you should contact a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer to be advised of your rights. If you have been asked to sign releases by the other party’s insurance company, contact Law Fifty One to see what your options are.

I have suffered personal injuries in a car accident. What should I do?

As soon as possible following a car accident, you should contact your own insurance company and report the car accident. This will allow you to initiate your Section B benefits and get any necessary treatment paid for by your insurance company.

You should also seek medical attention from a doctor as soon as possible following a car accident. Be sure to follow all of your doctor’s recommendations and treatment recommendations.

I am unable to work because of my personal injuries. What should I do?

If you are unable to work because of your personal injuries, you have several options that may be available to you. You may be entitled to disability benefits if you have coverage through your employer or a third party provider. You may also be entitled to Section B disability benefits, employment insurance, Canadian Pension Plan and Alberta Income for the Severely Handicapped.

Contact the team at Law Fifty One today for a free consultation.

If I am involved in a car accident, what should I do at the scene of the accident?

First and foremost, it is extremely important to make sure that you and all passengers involved in the accident don’t require immediate medical attention. You should always call 911 to report the accident to first responders.

If you are able to, you should take the other party’s driver’s license information, insurance and registration information and the names and phone numbers of anyone who witnessed the car accident. You should also take pictures of your vehicle, the other party’s vehicle, the scene of the car accident and any obvious personal injuries that you have sustained.

Documenting the date, time, and location of the car accident is also important. You should also make a note of the weather conditions that existed at the time of the accident.

Will my case go to trial?

The vast majority of our personal injury claims do not go to trial. While this is not always true for medical malpractice claims, claims arising from car accidents, trip and falls, and slip and falls often settle out of court.

However, if we need to go to trial to get you the compensation you deserve, the team at Law Fifty One will be with you every step of the way.

Call Law Fifty One now at: 403.457.6727 today for a free consultation and for more information on how to get your personal injury claim started. Alternatively you can send us a quick message with any questions that you may have.